A “MI Art Fest” event, initially scheduled for July 15 in downtown Sturgis, was postponed due to rain.
The event has been rescheduled for 5:30-9 pm Friday, July 29.
Ryan Conrod, event coordinator for Sturgis Downtown Development Authority, said he’s hoping for good weather this time around. He said he’s glad the event was able to return and didn’t need to be canceled.
Many of the same events will be part of the rescheduled festival. There are some new additions to MI Art Fest this time around, including artisan popcorn at Strand Theater and a caricature artist.
Conrod said of all the downtown Sturgis events, the new MI Art Fest offers the most to do for event-goers. There’s something for everyone, he said, and there’s even art in aspects like the new Sturgis biscuits and jam being created for the event and the classic car show.
The rescheduled MI Art Fest replaces a “Summer Eats & Beats” event, although several aspects of that attraction will be part of MI Art, Conrod said.
Here’s a look at what’s planned.
Open Door Gallery
- Free make & take.
- Free colored pencil with event logo (to the first 400 people).
- “Drawing Basics” art class at 6 pm (free).
- “Omissions in Art History” art class at 7 pm (free).
- Art Around Town tours at 6, 7 and 8 pm (starts at Open Door Gallery with a tour guide).
US 12 (Sidewalks)
- Trolley car rides ($1 per person. Stops at Sturgis Depot Museum, Craftsman’s Daughter and Olive Fresh).
- Poetry & Art, 5:30-7:30 p.m. (in front of Five Lakes).
- Live artists, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Juggler Yoder, 6-8 p.m.
- Color Walk, 7 pm, at Sturgis Area Chamber of Commerce ($5 registration fee).
- Face painting, 5:30-7:30 pm, in front of Ascend Computer.
- Sidewalk chalk art & watercolor pencil painting (in front of Open Door Gallery).
- Art craft vendors, 5:30-9 p.m.
- Live acoustic musicians, 5:30-9 pm
- Specialty “artisan” drink specials, Wings Etc.
- “Craftsman” popcorn, Strand Theatre.
- Sturgis Rocks rock painting, 5:30-7:30 pm (sponsored by Maximum Performance).
- Kids bounce house, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Sturgis District Library, “Oceans of Possibility” crafting.
- Lucy & Ethel photo op (they will be walking around too).
- Free caricature artist, 5:30-8:30 pm
- Old-time waffle cone food truck.
- MI Love Locks ($5 per lock includes personalized etch).
- MI Art Shack (selling blueberry/lavender jam, water, blueberry lemonade).
- Sturgis Biscuits booth (selling the “official” Sturgis Biscuits).
- Food truck vendors.
- Movies in the Park: “A League of Their Own” at 7 p.m.
- Dottie & Kit photo op, 5:30-9 p.m.
- information tent.